BACKWARD CLASSES WELFARE DEPARTMENT
KALIMPONG-I DEVELOPMENT BLOCK
The Backward Classes Welfare Department under Kalimpong-I Development Block works for social, economic and cultural development of the people belonging to SC/ST and OBC. The main functions of the Department are:
- Promotion and implementation of educational schemes including training for enhancement of capabilities in them.
- Issuance of caste certificates and enforcement of reservation rules in services, posts and educational institutions.
- Implementation of schemes including income generation schemes for economic upliftment.
- Strengthening of infrastructure and creation of community assets for integrated development of the backward classes.
- Social and cultural development of the backward classes.
Different activities of Backward Classes Welfare Department, Kalimpong-I Development Block towards welfare of the SC/ST/OBC people of the area are as follows:
CASTE CERTIFICATES: Caste Identification Certificates for the Scheduled Castes & Scheduled Tribes are issued in terms of provisions of the Scheduled Castes & Scheduled Tribes (Identification) Act, 1994 by the Sub-divisional Officer, Kalimpong.
EDUCATIONAL SCHEMES: Online processing and disbursement of scholarships through Direct Benefit Transfer System has immensely benefitted the students resulting in enhanced coverage. An innovative scholarship scheme “SHIKSHASHREE” has been introduced for SC/ST students of class V to VIII. Also, Prematric Scholarship & Post matric Scholarship to SC/ST/OBC students has been introduced. At present, 13 Nos. of government schools under Kalimpong-I Development Block avail the above mentioned scholarships.
ST-OLD AGE PENSION: Backward Classes Welfare Department has introduced ST-Old Age Pension for ST community.
ELIGIBILITY CRITERIA OF THE BENEFICIARY:
- He/ She shall be a resident of the State of West Bengal and living Below Poverty Level (BPL) in rural area.
- He/ She shall be a member of Scheduled Tribe (ST) community.
- His/ Her age shall be 60 years or higher.
- No beneficiaries under the National Old Age Pension scheme or Old Age Pension scheme of the Social Welfare Department of the State or similar Government Old Age Pension scheme, if any will be eligible for this scheme.
Monthly pension of Rs. 1000/- for each beneficiary.
At present, 605 nos. of ST beneficiaries avail the ST-OAP under Kalimpong-I Development Block.
Further, Backward Classes Welfare Department under Kalimpong-I Development Block is still undergoing other development schemes & benefits for the upliftment of the SC/ST/OBC community of the area.
BACKWARD CLASSES WELFARE DEPARTMENT, KALIMPONG-I DEVELOPMENT BLOCK:
INSPECTOR: SMT. NINGCHOL TAMANG
ADEO’s: 1) SUSHREE NEAREP LEPCHA
2) SMT. MEME LEPCHA